Venango County in Pictures
Venango County Historical Society
PO Box 101 301 South Park Street Franklin, Pennsylvania 16323
From Our Photograph Collection
Venango County is located in the heart of Oil Country. George Washington traveled through the area during the French and Indian War, an era when three forts and a federal garrison were built in Franklin, the county seat. Many of our original settlers came to Venango County as a result of land grants that were given in recognition of service during the Revolutionary War - many more came during the Oil Boom. Below is a sample of photos from the Society's vast Photograph Collection.
The Civil War Monument, located next to the courthouse in South Park, is directly across the street from the Egbert-Mullins-Koos House. It was dedicated in 1866.
This photo shows the back entrance to River Ridge mansion and the portico where all guests arrived. Sibley and his wife, Ida Rew Sibley, furnished the home with items brought in from all over the world. One piece was an African lion weighing 11 ounces that was carved from a single diamond. Most of Mr. Sibley's belongings, and the contents of the mansion, were sold at auction by his daughter, Josephine Sibley Heathcote, in 1948.